Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Beginner needs help with water chemistry and management!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Talking Beginner needs help with water chemistry and management!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Y'all,

I am brand new to the hobby and have a 29 gallon South American Blackwater Dwarf Cichlid community tank. My tank is now one month old.

I am using a Hydor canister filter, a Coralife light with double 6700K/65 watt bulbs and compressed CO2 (1 bps). I am keeping the temperature between 78-80 degrees (that's 25 to 27 degrees celcius). Using ADA Amazonia in the planted areas (about 2/3 of the tank, on the left & right sides) and ADA Bright Sand in the front and towards the back (separating the two planted areas).

For decorations and plants, I have three pieces of driftwood with Java Moss and two Java Ferns. The foreground is mostly moss covered rocks, the midground has several grasses, and there are two Amazon Swords and several stem plants in the background. The Sword is growing the best, and just last week I planted the first baby and there are two more on the way!

Can someone please help with the following questions on pH, N and adding fauna?

1. The GH is 6 degrees and KH is less than 1 degree, I've been unable to keep the PH above 5.5. What can I do about this? I have already lost several plants and I don't want to invest in more until I know they won't melt again. I am looking for Cichlid caves, are there any made from Calcium Carbonate that will help raise/stabilize pH?

2. NO2 is less than 0.3, but two days ago there was a NH3+/NH4+ spike, it now measures 1.5 mg/l . I vacuumed out the dead plant debris/algae, I did a 50% water change and cleaned the filter (only 1/2 to avoiding overly disturbing bacteria colonies). I am using Amquel, Cycle, and ADA Green Bacter. Is there anything else I can do?

3. Last week the water tested safe enough to add the first set of algae eaters, so I added two SAEs, (it took an hour to do the drip method) and as soon as I put them in, they were gasping at the surface and then died within two minutes, very sad to see. I don't want to go through this again! How do I know when it will be safe to add SAEs?

Whew that was a lot!

Looking forward to hearing from everyone soon! Thanks!

Jen
    Last edited by benny; 9th May 2007 at 10:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally ADA soil will cause pH crash for the first few weeks don't bother to increase it because I don't think it is possible. My tank with ADA soil has pH of 4.8 for the 1st month, now stable at 6.

ADA soils also cause kH measurement to be 0, so just ignore it. Also ADA soil will release NH3+/NH4+ to the water, so cycle properly before introduce any fish. I cycle my ADA soil tank for 3 weeks before introduce any fish and that only because I'm saw mosquito larvae swimming inside.
    Last edited by benny; 9th May 2007 at 10:54. Reason: change crass to crash

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Question Thanks for the reply, more about cycling?

In your opinion, what's the best way to cycle properly? There are many resources that talk about fishless cycling and other methods, but it is all very confusing. It would be helpful to know what worked for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can use media from old filter or use old water from other tank. For ADA soils let it cycle for 4 weeks. Except for ADA soils, I put couple of cheap fish (2 or 3) to help cycle. Never use the bottled bacteria

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just started a new 2ft tank as well. imo using old filter media is the fastest for cycling. You may squeeze the dirt into the tank too.
    My PH remain at 5 till today. Gonna add a handful of coral chip soon
    Added a hardy black molly fish. no feeding since it feed on surface protein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Normally ADA soil will cause pH crash for the first few weeks don't bother to increase it because I don't think it is possible. My tank with ADA soil has pH of 4.8 for the 1st month, now stable at 6.

ADA soils also cause kH measurement to be 0, so just ignore it. Also ADA soil will release NH3+/NH4+ to the water, so cycle properly before introduce any fish. I cycle my ADA soil tank for 3 weeks before introduce any fish and that only because I'm saw mosquito larvae swimming inside.
    Very informative bro. Learned something today...thanks