Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: My first Planted Community Tank

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi Chee Jin, 1 bag of 8kg GEX soil will be sufficient for a 2x1x1 tank...cost wise i can't exactly state here as it's frowned upon and i can't pm you as you don't have 10 posts yet...is there an email i can reach you at? the good news is that GEX soil has dropped in price by 1/7 from its previous price, so it's cheaper and just as good

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi illumnae,

    my email address is [email protected]

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Chee Jin View Post
    Nice tank Merviso. I have always wanted to start a planted tank, but get discouraged by aquarium shop personnel as they say need to put CO2, fan.
    Your tank really inspire me to convert one of my 2ft tank to a planted tank. How much GEX soil did you put in your 2ft tank and how much does it cost?
    Is the foreground plant Pygmy Chain Sword or Echi. quadricostatus? Can spare me some to try out?
    Hi Chee Jin, welcome to the club.

    Actually, mine is a very simple tank. With the gex soil, I didn't have to do much work. Just throw the plants in and watch them grow. I do have a standard fan to cool down the temperature a bit for my shrimps. As mentioned, every 2 to 3 days, I will just add in some Flourish & Flourish Excel.

    I used the Gex standard 8L pack for planted tank which is Light Green in color. Price is almost comparable to ADA soil I think, Bro illumnae will be able to advice you on that. Have fun !

    On the foreground plant, frankly I also are not able to confirm. I can sure pass some for you to try out. But be warned, it's growth is unstoppable I'm staying in bedok and currently station at my customer's office at Teban Garden till maybe end of the year. How do I pass it to you? I can practically drop by c328 everyday on weekdays since I change to MRT at Clementi. Cheers!


    Hi Bro illumnae,

    You are really the spokeman for Gex Soil here. Guess you must be a very very happy Gex Soil user.

    Btw, my neighbour's son, also my God-brother, just pass me a 5 inch Frontosa this afternoon out of the blue. The only tank that I can put it into is with my Birchir. Guess now I'm also a Cichlid keeper..

    I saw your thread on breeding your Apistos earlier. Guess I can look for you when my tank is ready..
    Last edited by Merviso; 16th Nov 2007 at 22:35.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Price is almost comparable to ADA soil I think, Bro illumnae will be able to advice you on that. Have fun !
    it's cheaper than ADA

    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Hi Bro illumnae,

    You are really the spokeman for Gex Soil here. Guess you must be a very very happy Gex Soil user.
    Got good stuff must share ma, i speak up for a brand i think is the best available on the market...after all, that's what a forum is for right? sharing good stuff =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    I saw your thread on breeding your Apistos earlier. Guess I can look for you when my tank is really..
    haha i'm not the only one here who breeds apistos...i'm still a newbie to the scene, many others are more experienced than me and have quality fish that they breed too!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha... I'm a happy Gex Soil user too. Too bad my ADA soil is still sitting inside the empty tank waiting for a replacement. Hopefully by then I will have enough experience to do justice to the soil.

    Anyway, my Apistos adventure will not be so soon. Still have many other tank to set up and maintain for now.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    replace the ADA with Gex

    what apistos are you interested in? you may be in luck as biotope just came in a new shipment! you should go down and take a look

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm... that will be $40 down the drain.. anyway, I will want to gain the experience of dealing with ADA Soil, and I'm planning for fishes with more acidic PH requirement. A angelfish setup should be interesting. I used to keep angelfish when I was much much younger, it should bring me back some old memories.

    Biotope used to be just 3 bus stop away from my office at bukit merah. Too bad they shifted when I'm just starting to get back into fish keeping. Think I will go check out only when I've the tank ready; else, by the time I get my action up, the fish will be long gone.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    eh please don't keep angelfish in a 1.5ft tank...they will quickly outgrow the tank and you'll have to find alternative living arrangements for them...i think angelfish should only be kept in a 3ft tank and above if you want to keep a small community of them or 2ft and above if you have a breeding pair.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    yup.. I did plan for the growth.

    Firstly, this 1.5ft tank will be 1.5ft tall also. Secondly, this will just be a grow out tank. Thirdly, I'm planning for a 4ft planted tank with the Angelfish as the main fish. I always like Angelfish as a graceful swimmer. Discus for me will be too much effort to maintain.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    discus actually require just the same amount of care as angelfish in a 4ft planted tank

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha... I always remember my good old time super hardy Angelfish. Any how take care also no problem! Keep with a tank of my super fat Goldfish. I always use hand to take them out of the tank when changing water; and everytime 100% water change with fresh water from our old well.

    Somehow, I still prefer Angelfish to Discus; maybe because they are more rugged compare to Discus.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,169
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    it's a myth really, discus are not less rugged than angelfish. in fact, i'll even propose to you that discus are MORE rugged than angelfish. it's not often you find a fish that can survive 100% water changes multiple times a day, enduring the portion of the water change where they are lying flat on the floor of the tank without any water in it, then having the water splash down fully chlorinated, antichlorine super concentrated poured in while the water is filling and slowly coming upright again as the antichlorine gets diluted and the water fills up full again. most fish will die of shock if you do that, angelfish included...but discus go through that all the time, many times a day

    discus might have been said to be delicate maybe a decade ago when they were still relatively new (compared to other fish like angelfish or guppies) in the aquarium hobby and haven't gone through years of genetic refining to strengthen them and get them fully acclimitized to living in a tank instead of the wild...but it's not the case anymore

    but of course you're free to prefer angelfish to discus...personal preference after all

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    I like discus and Angel Fish too. Discus looks prettier, but Angel fish is a lot more affordable, so in the end I bought 7 small Angel fish (approx 2-3 inch) to try in my 2ft tetra tank. After only a few weeks, can see the Angel fish has grown quite a bit as compared to tetra, which grow very slowly. When I get more experienced, then I will buy discus to try it out. It is very painful to see $30-$40 fish die after a few days. Last time I bought a yellow spotted pleco, however, actually suck it during water change, quickly release it, died it still die the next day.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    it's a myth really, discus are not less rugged than angelfish. in fact, i'll even propose to you that discus are MORE rugged than angelfish. it's not often you find a fish that can survive 100% water changes multiple times a day, enduring the portion of the water change where they are lying flat on the floor of the tank without any water in it, then having the water splash down fully chlorinated, antichlorine super concentrated poured in while the water is filling and slowly coming upright again as the antichlorine gets diluted and the water fills up full again. most fish will die of shock if you do that, angelfish included...but discus go through that all the time, many times a day
    Wow! Didn't know about that. Maybe some of my thinking is totally outdated since I stopped this hobby for almost 20yrs. Maybe I will com some of them with the Angelfish when my 4ft is up.

    Hi Chee Jin, yes the Angelfish will grow quick fast and chances are will take your tetra as snacks. Oh, how about the plant collection? Where can I pass it to you? Or maybe if your tank is not ready, let me know the timeline so that I can keep it for you.

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Merviso,

    Can I pick up the plant from you on next Mon or Wed night? I will be at Bedok Camp area at approx 8pm. Can SMS be your address and preferred day? My mobile number is 94504963.

    illumnae & Merviso, I just went to bought Gex soil and plants this morning. I have converted both my 2ft tank to planted tank. However, don't know how to insert picture on this website to show you all for feedback


    Thanks & best regards.
    Chee Jin

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    Just figured how to upload pictures to this website.

    My first planted tank setup today.



    My 2nd planted tank setup today


    Any feedback?

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Chee Jin View Post
    Hi Merviso,

    Can I pick up the plant from you on next Mon or Wed night? I will be at Bedok Camp area at approx 8pm. Can SMS be your address and preferred day? My mobile number is 94504963.

    illumnae & Merviso, I just went to bought Gex soil and plants this morning. I have converted both my 2ft tank to planted tank. However, don't know how to insert picture on this website to show you all for feedback


    Thanks & best regards.
    Chee Jin
    Wednesday night looks good. Monday night I will usually go c328 and get some feeder for my fish. However, I'm not sure if I can get back home before 8pm. My home is just opposite Blk 85 Market. Maybe you can go there and have some supper and I will contact you once I reach home. I will sms you my address shortly.

    As for your tank, good effort! However, since you just bought the soil in the morning, shouldn't it be left for cycling for some time before you introduce the fish ?

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops, I did not know I can't plant straight away. I thought I just empty out all my tank content, put in the Gex soil, new plants, and add back all the old contents.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    10
    Country
    Singapore
    It's ok for plants. It's more for your fish that i'm worried for. Maybe you like to read up on cycling of fish tank to have a better understanding. Btw, did you use back your old fish tank water and also the old filter with media untouch? If yes, then I guess should still be ok. But you will have to monitor the behaviour of your fish to see if they are showing any sign of problem. Good luck!

    Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    15
    Country
    Singapore
    I used back 50% of water, as don't have so many pails to keep existing water. Used back original filter and filter media. Did wash the filter media using the water I throw away. This morning fishes still okay so far.

    I am thinking if next month everything stable, then maybe buy some cherry red shrimps again and try to see if they survive. If surive, then try CRS. If cannot, then I am going to give up trying shrimps totally, cos already 2 failed attempts in shrimps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •